R/V Sikuliaq Events
Marinette, Wisconsin—The keel-laying ceremony for the R/V Sikuliaq was held on Monday, Apr. 11, in Marinette, WI. More than 80 people attended the ceremony. Vera Alexander and Bob Elsner served as co-sponsors for the Sikuliaq, and their initials were welded into a steel plate that will be affixed to the Sikuliaq's keel for its working life.
Both Alexander and Elsner have been involved with the planning and development of the ship for several decades.
Participants in the ceremony included UAF Chancellor Brian Rogers, Marinette Marine Corporation CEO Richard McCreary, U.S. Congressman Reid Ribble (Wisconsin), Wisconsin state Senator Dave Hansen and NSF Ocean Sciences Division Director David Conover.
- Vera Alexander, UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences dean emerita [biography]
- Robert Elsner, UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences professor emeritus [biography]
- Marinette celebrates new ship (Fox11 News Wisconsin)
- View more
- View photo gallery of event
- UAF, Marinette Marine, NSF celebrate Sikuliaq keel-laying (April 13 news item)
Sharice Walker, UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences Public Information Officer, at 907-474-7208, or via e-mail at email@example.com for more information.