Research and Academic Facilities
Institute of Marine Science - Fairbanks
The School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences facilities in Fairbanks are located across several buildings on UAF's West Ridge.
- 2 - 42" plasma video displays
- 2 - Overhead video projectors for multimedia content
- 48" smartboard (a digital whiteboard used for distance learning)
- Seating for up to 56 students
- A teaching laborotory with videoconferencing
- Two research labs with recirculating water system for live fish
Research Laboratories - West Ridge
|134 O'Neill||474-7938||Fisheries Ecology and Oceanography Lab||Norcross|
|141 O'Neill||474-6957||Fisheries Biometry and Marine Invertebrates Lab||Blanchard|
|143 O'Neill||474-7066||Marine Invertebrate Laboratory||Jewett / Coyle / Blanchard|
|145 O'Neill||474-5383||Marine Invertebrate and Biological Oceanography Lab||R.Hopcroft|
|147 O'Neill||474-7768||Cryomics Lab||Collins|
|218 O'Neill||474-7074||Marine Plant and Invertebrate Biology Lab||Iken / Konar|
Irving II Building
|134 Irv-II||474-5066||Marine Mammal Biology and Fisheries Ecology Lab||Horstmann|
|236 Irv-II||474-5091||Biological and Chemical Oceanography Lab||Whitledge|
|238 Irv-II||474-7129||Benthic Ecology Lab||Hardy|
|239 Irv-II||474-7653||Biogeochemical Oceanography Lab||McDonnell|
|335 Irv-II||474-5032||Marine Biogeochemistry Trace Metals Lab||Aguilar-Islas|
|336 Irv-II||474-5243||Ocean Acidification Research Center (OARC)||Mathis / Monacci|
Arctic Health Research Building (AHRB)
The Vera Alexander Learning Center, a new smart classroom and seminar room for SFOS faculty, staff and students, was completed in 2008. The center is in room 201 of the O'Neill building on the UAF campus. The new learning center provides a venue for SFOS student theses defenses, lectures, seminars and for distance learning courses.
The center was dedicated to Vera Alexander, the first woman to receive a doctorate at the University of Alaska, in a dedication event held in May 2008*. The Vera Alexander Learning Center features complete videoconferencing capabilities:
Fisheries Laboratory Complex - Arctic Health Research Building
The fisheries teaching laboratory complex at the UAF campus began operation in 2010. Contact: Trent Sutton
The fisheries laboratory complex includes an ichthyology specimen collection room, prep areas and cold and warm storage.
The research labs are equipped with a circulating water system that chills and filters water for holding live fish. One of the research labs has 24 tanks for fisheries experiments and the other has tanks for hatching and rearing fish.
Other UAF Research Facilities
- Advanced Instrumentation Laboratory
- Alaska Stable Isotope Facility
- Water Environmental Research Center
- Manned submersibles and ROVs
Seward Marine Center - Seward
- Seward Marine Center
- SMC wet laboratory with running sea water system and saltwater tanks
- D.W. Hood Laboratory
- K.M. Rae 100 seat auditorium with videoconferencing
- Alaska SeaLife Center
UAF students studying at the "Seward Campus" often are advised by the UAF faculty at the Alaska SeaLife Center.
Global Undersea Research Unit - Homer / Seldovia
- Kasitsna Bay Laboratory
- 1,400 ft2 wet lab with running seawater system
- 5 dry labs with microscopes, etc.
- Cold water SCUBA dive facility with air compression system
Fisheries Division - Juneau
The Lena Point Fisheries Facility has ~30,000 ft2 of educational and research space.
The research space includes:
- 2 wet labs with running seawater system and saltwater tanks
- An adjacent analytical / dry lab
- 4 laboratories with formalin / fume hood capabilities
- 4 laboratories without fume hoods
The academic space includes:
Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center- Kodiak
The Alfred Owen Building is a 20,000 ft2 research facility built in 1991.
Alfred Owen Building
|Alfred Owen Building||Seafood Research Lab with fume email@example.com|
|Alfred Owen Building||Chemistry Lab with fume firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Alfred Owen Building||Biochemistry Lab with fume email@example.com|
|Alfred Owen Building||Microbiology Lab with fume firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pilot Plant||Pilot Plantemail@example.com|
|Research Kitchen||Research Kitchenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sensory Testing Facility||Sensory Testing Facilityemail@example.com|