Contact InformationGraduate Program in Marine Science and Limnology
P.O. Box 757220
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7220
Phone: (907) 474-7074
Fax: (907) 474-5863
Alexandra RaveloPh.D. Student
Epibenthic community patterns on the Alaska Arctic shelves, environmental drivers of community variability and dominant brittle star population dynamics
My main interests relate to community ecology, biodiversity and population dynamics of marine fauna. I have a strong interest in understanding changes in marine community patterns over time and space on shelf and near-shore systems.
- American Association of Underwater Science http://www.aaus.org/
- UA Scientific Diving Program UAF diving control board student representative https://www.sfos.uaf.edu/dive/
- Association of Polar Early Carrier Scientist (APECS) http://www.apecs.is/en/
My research is focused on how the epibenthic invertebrate communities vary spatially. Specifically, how the combination of the species life history and the different environmental factors may be determining the pattern of species distribution, total epibenthic abundance, biomass and diversity indices throughout large spatial scales. I'm also interested in linking the long term changes in sea ice cover with benthic community patterns and biomass of dominant benthic taxa.
- Konar, B. and Ravelo, A. M. (2013) Epibenthic Community Variability on the Alaskan Beaufort Sea Continental Shelf. Coastal Marine Institute final report. UAF. Report number 2013-01148, 44 pp.
- Ramírez M., A. M. Ravelo & L. Lopardo. (2013) A simple device to collect, store and study samples of two-dimensional spider webs. Zootaxa 3750 (2):189–192.
- Ravelo A. M., B. Konar, J. H. Trefry & J. Grebmeier (2014) Epibenthic community variability in the northeastern Chukchi Sea. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography (102) 119-131. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2013.07.017
- Konar B., A. M. Ravelo, J. Grebmeier & J. H. Trefry. (2014) Size frequency distributions of key epibenthic organisims in the eastern Chukchi Sea and their correlations with environmental parameters. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography (102) 107-118. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2013.07.015
- Ravelo A. M., B. Konar. Epibenthic community variability on the Alaska Beaufort Sea shelf. In prep.